Whether you're managing simple or complex services, having visibility into what is happening throughout the day is incredibly important for availability and stability.
Use Axiom's monitors to keep an eye on all the important metrics and log streams to be notified of any anomalies immediately. Run simple checks or use APL for more complex checks and create 24/7 monitoring for your data.
Take your monitoring efforts even further by using our PagerDuty notifier. PagerDuty allows you to have enterprise-level alerting for issues via a simple, accessible interface. Setup teams, on-call schedules, notes, etc - everything you need to quickly go from alert to resolution.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to connect Axiom to PagerDuty to supercharge your monitoring.
With Monitors, you can:
- Visualize your backends.
- Run queries on your applications and resources.
- Take action on the metrics and logs coming from resources in Axiom.
These insights can be visualized within the Monitor giving you an end-to-end monitoring experience for your metrics and logs.
Let's get energized ⚡️
Visit PagerDuty to create and set up your account
Click on Add new services
- Create your service by entering the Name and Description. Leave everything else as default.
- Click on Create service without an integration
- On the dashboard menu, click on integration and select API keys.
- Enter the description of your API Key and click on Create Key.
- Back in Axiom Cloud setup your alerts by clicking on alerts on the Axiom dashboard.
Before configuring your alerts, you need to set up monitors and notifiers.
Monitors lets you set up and run queries over different periods. After configuring and setting up queries, you can confirm if the values created from the results exceed the threshold. If it exceeds the threshold value you configured, then the monitor would trigger and send an alert to the type of Notifier you added to the monitor.
Notifiers are an important component of monitors that keep your team informed of issues, and if any complications arise.
Notifications can be sent through four different notifiers:
- Select the pagerDuty notifier, and add the INTEGRATION KEY you created in step 6. and click on Create.
Monitors will help you increase the performance and availability of your applications and services by letting you know and see specific insights into your Backend, applications, and workloads.
Monitors & Notifiers provides a single source for monitoring Axiom resources.
- After you have created your PagerDuty Notifier, Configure your Monitor.
The name of my monitor is: PagerDuty Monitoring
Description - Monitor Applications and resources from PagerDuty. Inserting a description is very useful especially for your team members, Helpful for team members so that they can know what it was created for.
For Trigger options, I set the comparison type to above or equal to the value of 1. 1 is the value to compare the results of the query to.
Specify the frequency and time range for your monitor. Here I configured mine to check this monitor for every 1 minute(s) with data from the last 1 minute(s).
Select your notification option. Here I'm selecting the notification via PagerDuty which I configured in the previous steps.
Select your dataset to monitor.
Choose the Aggregation type you want to run your Query on. Here, I configured my query using the
countaggregation. It will trigger the monitor and send an alert to my email when the value of 1 is or equal to the threshold value of 1.
You can snooze your monitor by clicking the 'alarm clock' icon in the slide-out toolbar. By snoozing a monitor, no checks will be carried out by the monitor until the snooze time is elapsed.
You can use GROUP BY to get a more specific alert where necessary. This will trigger your monitor once for every group that is produced by a query.
- Go back to your Monitors page, wait for 1 minute(s). You will see that the alert has been triggered.
- In your Email, PagerDuty will send a notification to you when your monitors are triggered
- From your Email, you can now manage your on-call shifts by clicking the link attached to it
- Back to PagerDuty, you can manage your On-Call Shift(s) by selecting the specific Shifts you are on or the group of schedules you have worked with over time.
- You can configure your monitors to get triggered at any
You see how fast it is to integrate your resources and application alerts on Axiom with PagerDuty.
Wow! Can I see more? 🥰
Of course, you can! Visit the links below to learn more about what you can do with Axiom.
- Learn how to setup Monitors and Notifiers
- Getting Sophisticated alerts from Filebeat on Axiom
- Monitoring Rancher with Axiom
- Axiom Visualizations
- Help resources and tips
Stay tuned for our next blog post 😇